An historical timeline of the College
Since the 16th century our Fellows and Members have striven to change the face of medicine; dedicated to setting the highest standards of health care, our College has been driving progress for generations.
The Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow founded by Scottish Surgeon Peter Lowe.
Acquisition of First Faculty Hall beside the Tron Church, Glasgow.
The Library was founded in 1698.
Former President Joseph Black discovers latent heat. The discovery marked the foundation of thermodynamics.
Acquisition of Second Faculty Hall in St Enoch's Square, Glasgow.
Honorary Fellow, David Livingston, departs on his first expedition to Africa.
The Faculty moves to 242 St Vincent Street. It has since added the adjacent properties and today occupies 232 - 242 St Vincent Street.
Fellow, Joseph Lister, discovers the use of carbolic acid as an antiseptic in surgery.
Fellow, Sir William Macewen, carries out the first operation on a brain tumour.
Fellow John McIntyre, opens the world's first radiology department at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
The Faculty is renamed the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Jamini Sen becomes the first female Fellow of the College.
Physician Fellow Ian Donald and engineer Tom Brown build the world's first successful ultrasound diagnostic machine.
The Royal Faculty is renamed the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Former President Sir Graham Teasdale, and Fellow Bryan Jennett CBE, invent the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), which is used today all over the world.
The Dental Faculty is established.
The Faculty of Travel Medicine is established.
The Faculty of Podiatric Medicine is established.