Physicians examinations – Important announcement
Examinations and assessments
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow is committed to supporting members throughout every stage of their career. In taking our exams you will join our community of inspiring healthcare professionals working towards excellence in patient care through Continuing Professional Development.
Our exams are conducted in Glasgow, throughout the UK and internationally.
What is MRCP(UK)?
Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of the United Kingdom (MRCP (UK)) is a pre-requisite for those wishing to undergo training in a medical specialty. The College works together with sister Colleges in the UK to develop and deliver the MRCP exam.
The MRCP is an international validation and plays an important role for doctors working outside the UK in measuring levels of attainment.
Our staff are responsible for all aspects of candidate administration and can offer full support to those taking the exam in the UK or overseas. Please email us with any enquiries.
You can sit Part 1, Part 2 Written and Part 2 Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills (PACES) examinations in the Royal Colleges of Glasgow, England or Edinburgh.
The College offers the MRCP(UK) PACES 2020 Online Preparation Package.
MRCP(UK) Specialty Examinations - SCE
What are the MRCP(UK) Specialty Examinations?
The internationally-recognised Specialty Certificate Examinations (SCEs) are postgraduate qualifications that demonstrate to prospective employers around the world that you have achieved the standard required of UK trainees.
The SCEs are assembled and quality assured by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the UK. Each SCE tests both clinical knowledge and understanding of the scientific basis for current medical thinking.
The exams are computer-based, and will complement work-based assessments. The following speciality examinations are available:
- Acute medicine
- Endocrinology and diabetes
- Geriatric medicine
- Infectious diseases
- Medical oncology
- Palliative medicine
- Respiratory medicine
For further information and to apply for the SCE exams, visit the MRCP(UK) website.
Become an MRCP Examiner
Experienced clinicians are welcome to apply to become College examiners and assess candidates undergoing the MRCP(UK) Part 2 Clinical Exam (PACES).
Becoming an examiner offers many benefits for personal and professional development. Our examiners are provided with free examiner training and administrative support.
By carrying out examiner duties, you will gain CPD points both during training and upon completion of duties. Joining the College’s community of examiners also offers valuable networking opportunities.
Further information can be found on the MRCP(UK) website.
To be considered for appointment as a PACES examiner, you must:
- Hold MRCP(UK) (desirable)
- Be a Collegiate Member or Fellow in good standing of one of the Royal College of Physicians of the UK
- Be GMC registered with a licence to practise and in good standing (or regulatory equivalent in country of practice)
- Have been involved with physicians in training within the last two years
- (UK only) Participate in revalidation, including annual appraisal in current post, and adhere to CPD requirements
- (UK only) Have undergone equality and diversity training within the past three years
- Have achieved the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be on the specialist register, and be in a substantive consultant post
- (Outside of UK) Hold Fellowship of one of the UK colleges of physicians and be in good standing
- Examiners must also successfully complete the free PACES examiner training. If you are unable to take part in the required number of cycles over 2 years, you will be asked to refresh your examiner training.
The minimum requirement we ask of examiners is to commit to examining for two days (30 candidates) every two years. Flexible options are available – for example, you may be able to examine over two cycles (8am-3pm) or three cycles (8am-6pm) in a single day.
Helping with your exams
MRCP(UK) PACES Revision savings
The PACES Revision Savings incorporate free Affiliate membership while you work towards MRCP(UK), access to our online PACES exam revision modules, and discounted Membership after successful completion of MRCP(UK).View the package
MRCP(UK) PACES Revision modules
Each module includes an introduction to the station, top tips from a PACES expert, a behind the scenes look at the process of examiner calibration, an example of a satisfactory pass, and PACES exam tips.Access the modules
Become an Examiner
Our network of examiners are involved in writing question banks, exam scenarios, examining and assessment. Vacancies on our panels are advertised throughout the year on the website.
If you require further assistance, please contact us by clicking the button below.