Leadership in Action
26 Mar 2019
The College was delighted to host the Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellows group today for a conference on Leadership in Action. The conference focused around the important role of good leadership in delivering a healthy medical workforce and featured an excellent line-up of speakers including:
- Professor Jackie Taylor, President of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Catherine Calderwood, Chief Medical Officer for Scotland
- Jason Leitch, National Clinical Director Scotland
- Professor Don Berwick, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Professor Steve Swensen, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Opening the conference, Professor Taylor spoke about her own personal journey from medical student to College President. She highlighted the role models who have influenced her to pursue her career in medicine, and what it meant to her to be elected as President of the Royal College.
As President, Professor Taylor is keen to ensure the College evolves in its role as an influencer, voice of the profession and demonstrating and developing leaders, and outlined her own personal style of compassionate leadership. She said good leadership requires individual nurturing and development, a need to care, to lead by example, and to be yourself.
Going forward, Professor Taylor said that clinical leadership will play a pivotal role in health service design and delivery, and that the development of clinical leaders needs a collaborative approach. In her role as President, she will lead on re-focusing and re-energising the College to deliver on these priorities.
Latest news and statements
Key priority areas
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Climate Change
- Health Inequalities
Tweets by @rcpsglasgow