Tips for health care professionals
Seek out opportunities to further your skills
- Ask to observe seniors in the consent process
- As you gain confidence, discuss consent under supervision
- Read patient information leaflets to see what information patients are being given
- Become familiar with your local paperwork
- Discuss what is expected of you with your educational supervisor
Tip for those supervising more junior members of the team
If you are working with a new junior member of the team, talk to them about what skills and experience they have in consent
Observe the junior
- Do you know what they discuss with the patient and in what way?
- Are you happy that a procedure has been discussed clearly and the patient has understood?
- Is their level of documentation sufficient?