RCPSG Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine
This course has been designed in line with the Faculty of Travel Medicine’s publications 'Good Practice Guidance for Providing a Travel Health Service' and 'Recommendations for the Practice of Travel Medicine'.
The aim of this course is to develop and support healthcare professionals in their role as travel medicine practitioners. It offers an academic base that assists individuals to become autonomous and reflective practitioners in the delivery of travel medicine services. The course is delivered at postgraduate level and carries 120 credit points at SCQF Level 11 reflecting this .
The content and level of this course facilitates growth of higher audit processes in developing cognitive, leadership and practical skills. This will enhance travel medicine practitioners’ practice, by enabling them to make sound judgements and apply best clinical practice or evidence-based theory to support their decision making. This will ultimately support client care, in situations prone to rapid change and subsequently, improve travellers’ health.
Course duration and intakes
This course consists of 8 postgraduate modules delivered over a period of 18 months. The course will be delivered by specialists in the travel medicine field using a blended model of two residential elements and online interactive learning. Students will be expected to attend and contribute to online educational and peer support platforms. Cohort two will begin on 30 January 2023 with a residential week of learning.
The second residential is planned to take place from Monday 09 October 2023 to Friday 13 October 2023. The residential weeks are mandatory. They contain essential live learning and will take place face-to-face in the UK (Glasgow). We will consider applications from students requesting online participation.
The course fee for the Diploma is £4,695 and this will include Affiliate Membership of the Faculty of Travel Medicine, and access to TRAVAX for the duration of the course.
Once accepted onto the course, a deposit of approximately 10% of the course fee will be due to hold your place on the course. The remaining payment will be made over two further instalments, one due by 31 December 2022 and the other in Summer 2023.
Entry and Language Requirements
Applicants must be able to satisfy the general admission requirements of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
- Applicants must hold a good UK Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (2:1 or above) in Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, Dentistry, Paramedic Science, or Pharmacy, or;
- Applicants must hold a UK Postgraduate Qualification in a health-related subject based on clinical experience., or;
- Applicants must hold a good Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (2:1 or above) from a recognised international provider of Higher Education in Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, Dentistry, Paramedic Science, or Pharmacy, or;
- Applicants must hold a Postgraduate Qualification in a health-related subject based on clinical experience from a recognised international provider of Higher education, or;
- Applicants must have a record of on-going professional development in their respective field if they do not hold a degree. This record must cover professional development with a significant clinical component from when the applicant began working in their field. This only applies to those who have been practicing without a degree since the year outlined in table 1.
- Applicants must hold a professional registration with the governing body for their profession in the country in which the applicant is resident.
- Applicants must have professional experience in travel medicine practice or aspire to practice in travel medicine as a consequence of successful completion of the Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine.
Applicants with English as a second language will be assessed for suitability during the application process. Further information including the scores required in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), TEOFL or an equivalent English Language qualification can be found in the course brochure.
Membership of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Those who successfully complete the course will be eligible for admission to Membership of the Faculty of Travel Medicine (MFTM). Those who are non-members will be offered complimentary Affiliate Membership for one year and access to TRAVAX for the duration of the course.
RCPSG Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine Application form
RCPSG Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine Reference form
RCPSG Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine course brochure
RCPSG Postgraduate Diploma in Travel Medicine FAQs
Supported through an Educational Grant by Valneva.