West of Scotland Internal Medical and Core Surgical Trainees Buddy Scheme
The Buddy Scheme, established in partnership with the West Region of the Scotland Deanery aims to provide West of Scotland Internal Medical Trainees (IMT) and Core Surgical Trainees (CST) with a senior ‘Buddy’ at specialty Training (ST) 3-7 level who will be available for informal near-peer support and advice and to create a sense of belonging within the WoS medical and surgical community.
A ‘Buddy’ will normally be responsible for 1-2 IMT/CSTs and the scheme is entirely flexible. Pairs can meet as often as they like, in person (where pandemic restrictions allow) or via Zoom/Teams or simply phone/email/WhatsApp communication if preferred.
The aim is for the relationship to be an informal source of support from someone unrelated to the IMT/CST’s formal supervision structure. Topics of discussion can be dictated by the needs of the IMT/CST but have previously included advice regarding placements, CV writing and interview preparation.
Registrations have now closed for the 2021 intake. Registrations are expected to re-open in July 2022 for the 2022 scheme.
Benefits for the IMT/CST
- Having an ‘older sibling’ who can be contacted for support and advice.
- Avoid the feeling of being lost in a large training programme.
- Developing a personal sense of belonging as a WoS trainee.
Benefits for the ‘Buddy’
- Introduction to the role of educational supervisor.
- Development of coaching / leadership / management skills, supported by educational seminars at the College.
- Certificates of participation will be awarded.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.