Our College supports more than fourteen thousand members dedicated to achieving excellence in patient care by helping to reduce the cost of education and training.
Members from outside the UK are welcome to join our College. International Members benefit from a discounted annual subscription fee, use of the internationally recognised post-nominal, eLearning and personal funding opportunities.
This is a table outlining the eligibility for Membership of the Faculty of Surgeons.
|Examination Pass||Postnominal||Sponsor requirement|
|Intercollegiate MRCS exam||MRCS(Glasg)||0|
|I have not passed the MRCS intercollegiate exam and practice out with the UK||MRCPS(Glasg)||2 sponsors (1 must be Glasgow Fellow)|
|I have not passed the MRCS intercollegiate exam and I practice in the UK||N/A||Please arrange to sit the relevant Membership exam as listed above.|
Current Member of College – MRCPS(Glasg) upgrading to Fellow
- On GMC specialist register (if in UK)
- Min 10 years’ post award of MRCPS(Glasg)
- Evidence of 5 years in a substantive consultant post or equivalent
- Evidence of Fellowship by examination of an approved local/national professional body or equivalent certification
- Contribution to College: Evidence of existing contribution to College life or willingness to undertake activities in pursuit of the College’s objectives and values
- 1 sponsor (Glasgow Fellows)
Internationally recognised postnominals
MRCS(Glasg) is a GMC acceptable post graduate qualification.
MRCPS(Glasg) is not a GMC acceptable postgraduate qualification.
For full advice on any matters pertaining to GMC registration – please contact them directly.
To be eligible to use a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow postnominal, you must retain your membership.
Sponsors must be Fellows in good standing of the Glasgow College or another UK/Irish Medical or Surgical Royal College (where applicable). If you are unable to provide sponsor(s) who are current Fellows of this College, please refer to our regional and international advisors who may be able to assist.
To help ensure your application process goes as smoothly as possible, please ensure you review the application checklist. Don't hesitate to contact the Membership Team with any enquiries.
|Status||Key eligibility for application review||Sponsor(s)|
|Passed the Intercollegiate Specialty Examination (JCIE or JCSFE)|| ||0|
|Passed FRCS (Ophthalmology) examination offered by this College|| ||0|
|International medical graduate with MRCS|| ||1 Glasgow Fellow|
|International medical graduate without MRCS|| ||2 Glasgow Fellows, of which one must have gained fellowship via the Exam route (i.e. JCIE/JSCFE/FRCS(Ophth) exam)|
|Current Member of College – MRCPS(Glasg) upgrading to Fellow|| ||1 Glasgow Fellow|
Approved Professional Bodies
- Academy of Medicine of Singapore (Surgery)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bangladesh (Surgery)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan (Surgery)
- College of Surgeons of Hong Kong
- College of Surgeons of South Africa
- College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (Surgery)
Approved Certification Bodies
- American Boards of Surgery (all specialties)
- Equivalent European qualification as determined by the College
- MS or DNB qualification in Surgery from an Indian Medical Institution considered appropriate for such an award by the College
To complete your application, please ensure you have the following details:
- Name (Including Title)
- Date Of Birth
- Email Address
- Mailing Address
- Place of Work
- Job Title
- Primary qualification; date awarded and name of awarding institution
- Professional qualification – this is any other memberships held with other Royal Colleges, or equivalent.
- Academic qualification – this is any further post graduate qualifications you hold. For example the MRCS diploma.
- Sponsor(s) as required
In addition to the above fields within the application form, we must receive the following documents along with your application:
- Evidence of any of your qualifications
- An up-to-date CV
Click on the links below to see details on opportunities, resources and benefits for International Members. If you would like to view the full range of membership benefits please click here.
One should be a thorough professional, a researcher and a scholar. Patients benefit from innovative ideas and novel diagnostic applications in the field of medicine.