The College has been at the forefront of dental education and assessment for over 140 years. The Dental Board was established in 1879, the first year the License in Dental Surgery (LDS) was awarded. The Dental Council was established in 1967, in the same year the College introduced the Fellowship in Dental Surgery (FDS). In 1990 the Dental Fellows became a Faculty, and since 2003 the Dean of the Faculty has been Vice-President (Dental). This timeline shows the leading figures of the College’s dental surgery community, from 1967 until the present day.
Dental Convenor 1967-69
Born in Glasgow in 1912, John Campbell MacDougall qualified in dentistry and medicine in 1934 and 1935 respectively. During the war he served in the dental branch of the RAF at Millfield and Lossiemouth. Thereafter, he was in general dental practice in Glasgow and visiting surgeon at the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School where, in 1955, he was appointed Senior Lecturer, becoming Professor of Dental Surgery in 1964. In 1967, the year Dental Council was established, he became its first Convenor and, in conjunction with his colleague, Professor T C White, he introduced the examination for Fellowship in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. Furthermore, together with his counterparts in the other three surgical Colleges, he formed the Joint Committee for Higher Training in Dentistry and helped to devise new rotational postgraduate training schemes in Glasgow Dental Hospital and School which served as a blueprint for training programmes elsewhere in the UK.
Dental Convenor 1969-72
John Aird Russell was born in 1921 in Eastwood, East Renfrewshire and served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve as a temporary dental surgeon during the Second World War receiving extensive training in oral surgery and anaesthetics. He also trained in North London under the pioneering maxillo-facial surgeon, Norman Rowe. He was appointed to Glasgow Dental Hospital and School in 1958 as Consultant Dental Surgeon with duties at the City’s Western Infirmary and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill. He was a founding member of Dental Council before becoming it’s second Convenor in 1969. He was President of Glasgow Odontological Society (1976-77) and represented the College on the General Dental Council (1980-84).
Dental Convenor 1972-74
Born in Falkirk in 1911, Thomas Cyril White qualified in dentistry and medicine in 1933 and 1935 respectively. Initially he worked as a dental anaesthetist in Glasgow but developed an interest in orthodontics leading, in 1936, to a post in Glasgow Dental Hospital and School and, in 1938, he was appointed Lecturer in Orthodontics. In due course, he received consultant grading and was appointed Professor of Orthodontics in 1961 and Dean of the Dental School in 1964 until his retiral in 1976. He developed, along with Professor J Aitchison, a postgraduate qualification in orthodontics in 1948: The Diploma in Dental Orthopaedics RCPSG was the first such qualification in the UK. He had a major role, with Professor J C MacDougall, in promoting the establishment of the FDS in 1967. Professor White died in 1980. He bequeathed the residue of his estate to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow “for the furtherance of postgraduate dental education and research”.
Dental Convenor 1974-77
James Ireland was born in Bonnybridge in 1915 and studied medicine and dentistry in Edinburgh, qualifying in both. He served in the RAF during the Second World War, became a lecturer at Birmingham University Dental Hospital and, in 1949, was appointed Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in charge of the Department of Conservative Dentistry at Glasgow Dental Hospital and School. In 1964 he was appointed Professor and in 1976 he became Dean of Dental Education until his retirement in 1980. He was instrumental in the establishment of the University’s Dental Branch Library and, when he retired, this was re-named the James Ireland Memorial Library. He also had a major role in the planning of the new Dental Hospital and School building which opened in Sauchiehall Street in 1970. He was President of Glasgow Odontological Society (1965-66).
Dental Convenor 1977-80
Born in Paisley in1928, David Kean Mason graduated BDS from the University of St Andrews in 1951. After National Service in the RAF and working in Oral Surgery and Pathology at Dundee Dental Hospital, he studied medicine in Glasgow, graduating in 1962 while, at the same time, working in general dental practice and as a visiting dental surgeon, then senior registrar, at Glasgow Dental Hospital and School. In 1964 he was appointed Senior Lecturer in Dental Surgery and Pathology. His salivary gland research led to an MD in 1967 at which time he was appointed Professor in the newly formed Oral Medicine Department, a post which he held until 1992 and during which time he was highly influential in the development of his specialty at home and abroad. He was Dean of Dental Education at the University of Glasgow (1980-90) and President of the General Dental Council (1989-94). He was awarded a CBE in 1987 and a knighthood in 1992.
Dental Convenor 1980-83
Born in Falkirk in 1926 but raised in Glasgow, Andrew Fleming Carmichael studied dentistry at Anderson College, later to become part of Glasgow University. He qualified LDS in 1949 and, following National Service, briefly joined a dental practice in Glasgow before appointment to a lecturer post in 1951 in Glasgow Dental Hospital and School. In due course, he was appointed Senior Lecturer, Honorary Consultant and Head of the Child Dental Health Department. In 1967, he was admitted FDS RCPSG and subsequently FDS RCSEd. Recognising the vital contribution of dental nurses, he led the development of formal training within the Dental Hospital and School from 1969. For the College, he held the offices of Secretary of Dental Council and Examination Co-ordinator for the MGDS. He was President of Glasgow Odontological Society (1970-71), President of the British Paedodontic Society in 1975, a member of the Specialist Advisory Committee for Community Dentistry (1981-86) and represented the College on the General Dental Council (1984-89).
Dental Dean 1983-86
Alexander Cockburn was born in Galashiels in 1928 and qualified in dentistry in Edinburgh in 1949. Following National Service and a period in general practice he undertook postgraduate training in the three Scottish Dental Schools and was awarded the following diplomas: HDD, DDO, FDS RCPSG and FDS RCSEd. He was Senior Registrar and subsequently Consultant in Orthodontics at Glasgow Dental Hospital and School with responsibility also for Argyll and Forth Valley. His primary interest was postgraduate training using the treatment methods of North America and Australia. Major advisory and administrative roles included the Chairmanship of the Scottish Committee for Hospital Dental Services, membership of the Scottish Office Advisory Committee for Dental Establishments and membership of the General Dental Council. He was President of The Royal Odonto-Chirurgical Society of Scotland (1981-82) and of Glasgow Odontological Society (1989-90). In 1986, at the request of College Council he chaired a working party to explore the possibility of developing specialty postgraduate examinations in dentistry.
Dental Dean 1986-89
Hugh Duncan Campbell was born in Paisley in 1924 and began his dental training after serving in the Second World War. After graduating BDS at the University of Glasgow, he spent one year as a house officer in the Dental Hospital and subsequently continued his training in Cardiff and Dundee, in due course obtaining the diplomas HDD (1961), FDS RCSEd and FDS RCPSG (1967). He returned to Glasgow as a Consultant Dental Surgeon in 1966, based in the Dental Hospital but with responsibility for dental outpatients and oral surgery in-patients at the Victoria Infirmary, Mearnskirk Hospital and the Southern General Hospital. He also held monthly clinics in Campbeltown and Lochgilphead. Outwith clinical oral surgery, he served as Chair of the Dental Hospital Advisory Committee and President of the Glasgow Dental Alumnus Association. He was President of the Glasgow Odontological Society for 1978-79. On approaching retirement, he was elected Convenor of Dental Council.
Dental Dean 1989-92
David Alexander McGowan was born in 1939 in Northern Ireland where he qualified BDS (QUB) in 1961 and MDS in 1970. He trained in Oral Surgery in Belfast and Aberdeen obtaining the FDS RCSEng and FFD RCSI. He was appointed Lecturer in 1968 and Senior Lecturer in 1969 at the London Hospital Medical College, graduating with a PhD in 1978. Appointed to the Chair of Dental Surgery (later Oral Surgery) at the University of Glasgow in 1977, he served as Postgraduate Adviser, was the founding Director of the WSCPDE and subsequently chaired the Dental Committee of the SCPME where he piloted the introduction of dental vocational training. He was Dean of the Glasgow Dental School (1989-93) and later served as Senate Assessor for medical subjects on the University Court and as Vice-President of the General Dental Council (1994-99). Professor McGowan was awarded an Honorary FDS RCSEd in1999. Since retirement he has contributed to research into the history of dentistry.
Dental Dean 1992-95
Born in London in 1934, Khursheed Francis Moos qualified in dentistry from Guy’s Hospital Dental School in 1958, in medicine from University College Medical School in 1964 and, during his National Service in the RADC, he obtained the FDS RCSEng. He pursued a career in oral and maxillo-facial surgery and was appointed Consultant in Warwick in 1969 and at Cannniesburn Hospital, Bearsden in 1974 where, with colleagues, he established a clinical service in maxillo-facial trauma and deformity, serving the whole of the West of Scotland. He developed an internationally renowned unit attracting outstanding trainees and visiting staff, making a major contribution to the development of the specialty world-wide. As Dean of the Faculty, he promoted the Faculty’s overseas initiatives. He was appointed Honorary Professor by the University of Glasgow in1992 and was awarded an OBE in 1995. He continued to teach and supervise research after his retirement in 1999 and was awarded an Honorary FRCS by the College in 2007.
Dental Dean 1995-98
Ian Buchanan Watson was born in Dumfries in 1946, attended Dumfries Academy and then studied at the University of Glasgow, graduating BDS in 1969. His other qualifications were PhD (University of Glasgow, 1979), FDS RCPSG (1973) and FDS RCSEng (2000). After a broad training in hospital-based dentistry, he was appointed Senior Registrar in Restorative Dentistry in 1974 and then, in 1978, Consultant in Restorative Dentistry and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer in Glasgow Dental Hospital and School. In 1986 he spent a year as a visiting lecturer at the University of Sydney. Among the other positions Dr Watson held at the College were Secretary of Dental Council (1987-92) and Vice-Dean of the Dental Faculty (1992-95). On completion of his term as Dean, he was elected Chairman of the Joint Committee for Specialist Training in Dentistry (1999-2003) and served as a member of the Specialist Training Advisory Committee of the General Dental Council (1996-2003). He was President of Glasgow Odontological Society (2010-11).
Dental Dean 1998-2001
Born in Stockton-on-Tees, Raymond Thomas Reed graduated BDS from the University of Glasgow in 1962 and held junior posts in Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Nottingham prior to orthodontic training in 1965-66 at the Eastman Postgraduate Dental Institute. Having obtained the DOrth RCSEng, he was appointed Registrar at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge from 1966-69 during which time he graduated FDS RCPSG. He was Senior Registrar at Guy's Hospital from 1969-73 which included a secondment to the University of Toronto. In 1973, he was appointed Consultant Orthodontist for Wessex Regional Health Authority. As Vice-Dean, he had a leading role in developing the intercollegiate MFDS examination and, when he took over as Dean, he was the first such leader whose workplace was wholly outwith Glasgow. After serving as Dean, he chaired the Joint Committee for Specialist Training in Dentistry and, later, became Postgraduate Dental Dean for Wessex, Chairman of the Consultant Orthodontists Group and a member of the General Dental Council.
Vice President Dental 2001-04
Born in Milngavie in 1942, Donald Gordon MacDonald attended the University of Glasgow, graduating BDS in 1964. He then embarked on a career in Oral Pathology as a university lecturer at the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School and in the University Department of General Pathology at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, also spending a year as a Visiting Associate Professor at the University of Illinois. In 1971, he became the first dental graduate to obtain the MRCPath diploma by examination. Oral cancer was his main research interest and he completed his PhD Thesis in 1973. He also developed expertise in forensic dentistry and became honorary forensic odontologist to Strathclyde Police. In 1991 he was appointed Professor of Oral Pathology at the University of Glasgow and served as President of the British Society of Oral Pathology (1988-91), Vice-president of the Association of Head and Neck Oncologists of Great Britain and President of the International Association of Oral Pathologists in 2004.
Vice President Dental 2004-07
Born in Glasgow in 1947 and raised in Dumfries, William Murdoch MacRae Jenkins graduated BDS from the University of Glasgow in 1970 and FDS RCPSG in 1974 before undertaking specialist training in Restorative Dentistry in Glasgow Dental Hospital (1974-78), with a six-month secondment to the Periodontology Department, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. He was appointed Consultant in Restorative Dentistry at Newcastle-upon-Tyne Dental Hospital in 1978, then at Glasgow Dental Hospital in 1981. Active in research and education, he graduated DDS from the University of Glasgow in 1995 and co-authored two Periodontology textbooks. In Glasgow Dental Hospital he was Clinical Director for Restorative Dentistry (1996-99). For the College, he was Examination Co-ordinator for the final FDS (1987-99), Director of the Dental Examination Board (1999-2002), Chair of the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examination Board in Restorative Dentistry (1999-2002) and a member of the GDC Specialist List Appeal Panel (1999-2002). He was President of Glasgow Odontological Society for 2008-09.
Vice President Dental 2007-10
Michael Alexander Oxenham Lewis was born in Aylesbury in 1956 and qualified in dentistry at the University of Dundee in 1979. After completing NHS posts at Dundee Dental Hospital, he graduated FDS RCPSG in 1983. Following a move to Glasgow, he gained a PhD from Glasgow University in 1987 and completed his specialist training in Oral Medicine in 1991. He was then appointed to a senior lectureship and honorary consultant position at the University Dental Hospital & School in Cardiff, becoming Professor of Oral Medicine in 2000 and Dean of the School of Dentistry in 2010, a post that he held until 2017. He was President of the British Society for Oral Medicine (2004-06) and President of the British Society for Oral & Dental Research (2013-15). Until 2022 he served as the Faculty Representative in Wales promoting the College and hosting the MFDS examination in Cardiff. In 2020, he became a member of the General Dental Council.
Alyson P.M. Wray
Vice President Dental 2010-13
Born in Bellshill in 1961, Alyson Patricia Mary Wray studied dentistry at the University of Glasgow from 1978-1983. She undertook vocational training in community dentistry and, after 2 more years in the CDS in Glasgow, was appointed as a Clinical Fellow, undertaking clinical trials for Unilever and completing her PhD. She moved to Procter & Gamble in Cincinnati to focus on clinical research for 2 years, returning to Glasgow as a Lecturer in Paediatric Dentistry and completing her specialist training in 1997. Appointment to a Consultant post followed in Glasgow Dental Hospital in 1999 and she became the Clinical Lead for Paediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics in 2004. Dr Wray served the College in various roles including membership of the Specialist Advisory Board and the GDC’s Specialist List Mediation Panel. She became the first female Vice-President of a UK Surgical Royal College in 2010, chairing the Joint Meeting of Dental Faculties and the Intercollegiate Speciality Fellowship Board from 2010 to 2013.
Professor Richard Welbury
Vice President Dental 2013-16
Richard Welbury qualified in dentistry (1978) and medicine (1984) from the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He was appointed as MRC Research Associate in the Department of Child Dental Health in Newcastle in 1985 and gained his PhD in 1989. In 1991 he was appointed Consultant/Senior Clinical Lecturer in Newcastle. He was appointed Professor of Paediatric Dentistry in Glasgow 2001 and Deputy Head of the Dental School (2001-2012), and Director of Postgraduate Dental Education and Training (2006-2013). He became Dean of the Dental Faculty and Vice-President of the College of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in October 2013.
Professor Graham Ogden
Vice President Dental 2016-19
Professor Graham R Ogden (BDS University of Sheffield 1980), joined the University of Dundee in 1985, becoming Professor in 1999 and later head of Oral and Maxillofacial Clinical Sciences. His qualifications include FDS RCPS (1984), MDSc (1988), and PhD (1992). He is on the GDC specialist list for Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine. He was President of the Association of British Academic Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (ABAOMS) from 2012-2015. His awards for his research into oral cancer (early diagnosis/field change) include the T.C. White Prize Lectureship, RCPSG (1990); British Society for Oral Medicine Prize (1990); Senior Colgate Prize, British Society for Dental Research (1992); and IADR Distinguished Scientist Award for Oral Medicine & Pathology Research (2019). He was Dean of the Dental Faculty and Vice President (Dental) of the College from 2016 to 2019.
Vice President Dental 2019-2022
Andrew was born in Dundee where he qualified in dentistry in 1987. He then gained Fellowship in Dental Surgery from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 1993. He went to medical school qualifying MBChB from the University of Aberdeen in 1998. Basic surgical training was in the West of Scotland and was admitted as Fellow in General Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2001. He went on to his higher surgical training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the North West of England gaining the Intercollegiate Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in 2006. He was appointed Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon at The Royal Preston Hospital in 2007. Within the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow he was Director of Dental Examinations from 2016 to 2019. He was elected to the Office of Vice President and Dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at The College in 2019.