This informal day guides newly appointed consultants, or those who are about to be appointed, through the major issues they will encounter in the first years following appointment.
The day will be conducted under Chatham House Rules* to allow participants to share experiences and ask questions, from not only experts; but also newly appointed Consultants. The programme will give special attention to those areas not discussed in postgraduate or specialty training.
The topics covered during the day include:
- the interview process for consultants roles
- understanding the gap between training grade and consultant posts
- the Consultant contract and the job planning process
- time management and the efficient running of your office
- work life balance
- career progression and alternative roles
- the role of realistic medicine in medical practice
- opportunities in service development, locally and nationally
Who should attend?
- Newly appointed consultants
- Senior trainees
- Those returning from a period of absence
- To gain an understanding of the Consultant contract and job planning principles
- To gain knowledge of the importance of good time management skills
- To understand the differences from training grade to consultants grade and to network with others in this period of their career.
- The candidates will be taught the basics of the consultant contract and job planning process with the opportunity to discuss this and the interview process for consultants roles
- The candidates will gain an understanding of the requirements for continued work life balance and to develop in their role through career progression and alternative roles.
- The candidates will gain an understanding of Realistic medicine and its role in further medical practice.
The programme meets the criteria for dental enhanced CPD development outcome B.
* When a meeting, or part thereof, is held under the Chatham House Rule, participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that of any other participant, may be revealed.
- Medical Specialty Trainees
- Medical Consultants
- Surgical Specialty Trainees
- Surgical Consultants
- Dental Specialty Trainees
- Dental Specialists / Consultants
- Specialist Podiatrists
- Advanced Podiatrists and Consultants