The day will cover a variety of topics relevant to those working in general dental practice.
This will include information on recent implementation advice relating to NICE Clinical guideline 64 regarding antibiotic prophylaxis for patients at risk of infective endocarditis.
In addition, there will be a review of the Minamata agreement and its implications for amalgam use in dentistry in the future.
There will also be updates on the general management, including treatment and maintenance, of patients at risk of MRONJ and those taking anticoagulants and/or antiplatelet drugs.
The most recent guidance on conscious sedation, including the responsibilities of the referring practitioner, patient assessment and recommendations on sedation provision in primary care, will be discussed.
There will be an update on the work of the TRiaDS group, including improvements in the development of dental clinical guidance and on how research to understand implementation in general practice is being carried out and applied.
Who should attend:This event is relevant for dentists working in general practice, new graduates and those working in the Public Dental Service or with hospital posts in any health board.
The aim of the conference is to provide dentists with an insight into guidance development and implementation and an overview of recent guidance and advice produced by the Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme (SDCEP).
This will include the clinical management of patients in general practice as well as the implementation of new regulations on amalgam use and recommendations regarding antibiotic prophylaxis and conscious sedation.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes:
- To be able to assess and, where appropriate, manage patients deemed at risk of Infective Endocarditis and patients at risk of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ), including discussion of these risks with patients.
- State the new regulations regarding phase-down of amalgam use in dentistry and describe how restrictions will affect amalgam provision in general practice.
- Describe the process for the development of guidelines and implementation advice and the role of research to implement these in general practice.
Development outcome C
- Foundation / Vocational / Core Trainees
- Primary Care / General Dental Practitioners
- Dental Specialty Trainees
- Dental Specialists / Consultants
Our website is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. Online booking for events and courses will be unavailable during this time. We expect the maintenance to be complete by approximately 20:00 on 19 February.
Alternatively you can make a booking by calling +44 (0) 141 221 6072
+44 (0) 141 241 6224