This three day course will provide an opportunity for attendees to review their experiences in practice, receive advice on developing their support and facilitation skills, and to take part in a group skills exercise. The training concentrates on the skills needed to be a successful mentor and is based upon a framework known to be of benefit in mentoring relationships. Over the course of a number of workshops and group sessions, participants present their own issues and opportunities; practicing the skills necessary to apply this framework effectively.
Aims and Objectives
The course will introduce delegates to mentoring, and its benefits to organisations and practices, as well as the individual. The Egan model will be introduced, and its three stages explained with examples.
- Define mentoring and explain its benefits to professional, personal and organisational practice
- Be aware of the ethical and professional issues involved
- Describe the three stages of the Egan model and give examples of how it can be used.
- Identify the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to successfully initiate, maintain and 'end' a mentee relationship.
Development outcomes for enhanced CPD
The Mentor Training Course runs over three non-consecutive training days at the end of the year and one refresher day in June. This years dates are as follows:
- Thursday 18 October
- Thursday 8 November
- Tuesday 11 December
- June refresher date to be confirmed.
It is compulsory to attend all three training dates.
- Medical Specialty Trainees
- SAS Grade Physicians
- Medical Consultants
- Surgical Specialty Trainees
- SAS Grade Surgeons
- Surgical Consultants
- Primary Care / General Dental Practitioners
- Dental Specialty Trainees
- Dental Specialists / Consultants
- Healthcare Professionals
- Specialist Podiatrists
- Advanced Podiatrists and Consultants