Note: The closing date for this course is Wednesday 20 February 2019.
This multidisciplinary and highly interactive course aims to provide in-depth understanding of cardiac anatomy, with an emphasis on the surgical and echocardiographic anatomy of the mitral valve.
Providing hands on experience using fresh/frozen cadaveric material this one day course will cover:
- Assessment of mitral valve repairability using TOE
- Assessment of risk of SAM using TOE
- Surgical evaluation of the mitral valve
- Principles of valve repair and an understanding of techniques of repair
- Intraoperative decision-making
- Peri and post operative assessment of valve repair
- Ablation procedures for atrial fibrillation: anatomical basis and indications
Course work will include:
- prosection of the human heart
- hands-on instruction on TOE using simulators
- group cadaveric work with intact human thoraces, including exposure and assessment of valves in situ
- video presentations
- didactic teaching
The course is ideally suitable for cardiology, cardiac surgery and anaesthesia trainees ST3-6.
The faculty comprises consultant cardiologists, anaesthetists and surgeons:
- Mr Adam Szafranek (Course Director), Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Nottingham
- Dr Henry Skinner, Consultant Anaesthetist, Nottingham
- Mr Selvaraj Shanmuganathan, Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Nottingham
- Dr Rekhraj Sushma, , Consultant Cardiologist, Nottingham
- Mr Alan Dawson Specialist Registrar, Cardiac Surgery, East Midlands
The closing date for this course is Wednesday 20 February 2019.
Places are limited to 20 delegates. This course offers a reduced fee thanks to sponsorship by Edwards.
- Surgical Specialty Trainees